Websites showcasing bowling alleys across the United Kingdom, a fire department in the Netherlands and a Danish campaign for Hyundai are among the seven sites honored during the 2020 Umbraco Awards. All seven winners built their sites using Umbraco, an open-source content management system (CMS) that provides unlimited functionality, flexibility and customization without expensive license fees.
“Each of these highly impressive websites showcases what makes Umbraco a CMS platform that developers and marketers continue to choose to build sites that stand out,” said Niels Hartvig, founder and chief community officer, Umbraco. “These sites, which exemplify outstanding design, excellent editing experience, multilingual capabilities, and enhanced functionality with third-party integration capabilities, demonstrate what companies of any size or function—from small to enterprise—can do with a powerful CMS that comes without hefty licensing fees.”
The seven honorees are among the more than 500,000 websites worldwide that run live on Umbraco CMS, Umbraco Cloud and Umbraco Heartcore, and that are supported by more than 220,000 active Umbraco community members. Digital marketing agencies and companies choose Umbraco for its fully functional, enterprise-capable solution that:
- Enables the design clients want
- Improves workflow by enabling editors to seamlessly move back and forth between different parts of the website
- Facilitates multilanguage capabilities by allowing language variants of the same content in one project
- Extends functionality by seamlessly integrating with “best of breed” third-party applications such as customer relationship management (CRM) and e-commerce.
- Doesn’t require expensive licensing fees
Award-winners in each category are:
- Best Customer Solution and Best Gold Partner Solution: Athlon International by Perplex Digital (Netherlands). The jury said this “extremely slick” site used numerous Umbraco 8 features, including multilingual and model builder, making it “fast, snappy and doing what you’d want it to do. You don’t get lost in the clutter, which is an achievement in itself, given the amount of content presented.”
- Best Design:Metroselskabet, a new metro line in Copenhagen, by Novicell (UK). The site is a “real delight,” the jury said, a “scalable solution with purpose-driven design.”
- Best Editing Experience: The Danish site for Hyundai by IMPACT (Denmark/Portugal). According to the jury, the site “creates an outstanding user experience with some quite advanced modules. It gives the editor the power to build and maintain the sections in an easy and intuitive way.”
- Best Certified Partner Solution: The Netherlands Fire Service (Brandweer.nl) by True People(Netherlands). The nomination specifically pointed out how Umbraco’s Infinite Content Picker helped the client by making sure editors don’t have to leave the current page while editing and creating related content. “The menu is a very clever piece and an aspiring fireman will certainly enjoy browsing the site.”
- Best Cloud Solution: Imperial Tobacco Group, by Cold Banana (UK). The jury called the site a “great example of how Umbraco Cloud can be used to optimize workflows and achieve great results.”
- Jury’s Choice Award: TenpinbyMentor Digital (UK). The website and booking engine for the 47 bowling alleys across the UK is a “delight with extensive user testing, a holistic design process, and custom-built Umbraco features, such as the bowling ball loading.”
Typically presented at the company’s Codegarden event each May at its international headquarters in Odense, Denmark, the Umbraco Awards honor the best solutions built over the last year with Umbraco’s popular open source content management system (CMS). Umbraco live-streamed the awards ceremony this year.